PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : International Breaks

shadsworth cloud
16.09.2007, 12:38
No, not another ad for EasyJet :D
There is a big issue at the moment in the English League about the disruption to the season by these international breaks. Already this season, 2 weekends lost to international matches and another weekend next month.
Now Rafa Benitez, manager at Liverpol, has been complaining because his team have to play on Saturday lunchtime after his players have been away playing for their countries. Not only that but poor Liverpool have to travel a long distance to an away match. (In this case, it is Portsmouth, which is about 300km from Liverpool and I don't think the players travelled in a mini-bus or ford fiesta)
To make it worse for poor Liverpool and their pampered millionaire players, they have a Champions League match on Tuesday away at Porto (now that is a longer journey, but Benitez is prepared to accept that because it is worth a lot of money)
Of course Ferguson at ManU has agreed with all this and wants fixtures changed to benefit his club also.

It does give you a ready made excuse for when your team plays badly and seeing as Liverpool have Peter Crouch playing they need to have excuses ready :D:D

But I don't see these same complaints in the Bundesliga? Are the big clubs upset at the disruption to their season from internationals? Or do they just have to put up with it? Dortmund and Bremen played on Friday evening after internationals on Wednesday, that would send Benitez into total meltdown.

And its perhaps worth noting that HSVs worst performances this season have come after international weeks. Once Huub lets the players go off for a few days they come back forgetting all they have been taught.

bountymatze
16.09.2007, 17:22
No, not another ad for EasyJet :D
There is a big issue at the moment in the English League about the disruption to the season by these international breaks. Already this season, 2 weekends lost to international matches and another weekend next month.
Now Rafa Benitez, manager at Liverpol, has been complaining because his team have to play on Saturday lunchtime after his players have been away playing for their countries. Not only that but poor Liverpool have to travel a long distance to an away match. (In this case, it is Portsmouth, which is about 300km from Liverpool and I don't think the players travelled in a mini-bus or ford fiesta)
To make it worse for poor Liverpool and their pampered millionaire players, they have a Champions League match on Tuesday away at Porto (now that is a longer journey, but Benitez is prepared to accept that because it is worth a lot of money)
Of course Ferguson at ManU has agreed with all this and wants fixtures changed to benefit his club also.

It does give you a ready made excuse for when your team plays badly and seeing as Liverpool have Peter Crouch playing they need to have excuses ready :D:D

But I don't see these same complaints in the Bundesliga? Are the big clubs upset at the disruption to their season from internationals? Or do they just have to put up with it? Dortmund and Bremen played on Friday evening after internationals on Wednesday, that would send Benitez into total meltdown.

And its perhaps worth noting that HSVs worst performances this season have come after international weeks. Once Huub lets the players go off for a few days they come back forgetting all they have been taught.
Well, there have been such discussions in the Bundesliga as well. Remember Stevens being upset after losing against Bochum on Friday evening, 2 days after his boys were playing all over the world. I think Atouba even played in Japan that week...:eek:

And this time Guerrero, who socred the equalizer against Bayern, had a 15 hour flight from Peru to Germany...fortunately we played in Frankfurt, our international airport in Germany...But you're right: It seems to be a problem for our boys having a game after an international break.

I think the reason why nobody starts a bigger discussion on this topic is, that you do look like a bad loser, if you try to explain bad games with those handicaps the player "suffered". The public in Germany does not like it, if you blame somebody else (or the "circumstances") for playing bad - I think, like the fans in England do, don't they??;)

So, I think it's part of the explanation of our bad game yesterday, but it would be too simple apologising everything with that. There are some things that happened yesterday that have to be worked up until the next game, and I think Stevens will...And this week he'll have all the fit players on the training field...and not just some boys of the B-team...

But, to get back to the topic, I also think there are too many international games though. You're team played at least a game to qualify for the "EM" next year...we played a friendly against Romania. I wonder if those games are necessary one week before the european cup games are starting. Whereas this is not particularly a problem of our club...having just one german player in the national team...