PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Flying the flag for the HSV

shadsworth cloud
05.10.2008, 10:55
Anyone reading Novembers issue of 4-4-2 magazine, will get a shock when they reach page 63!

There is a feature on British followers of overseas football. Clubs featured are FC Nuremberg, Feyernoord, Inter, Red Star Paris and our very own selves. hsvklatschhsvklatsch

Speaking personally, I get regular phone calls and emails asking me about going to Hamburg for a match. Mostly, people want to know if it is safe or if there are tickets available. But I also get clooared as an "authority" on german football. One guy phoned me and said can i get him tickets for Bayern v Bremen the other week. I politely told him to shove it!
So, its good to give some support to the HSV over here. just a little bit more lonely on this forum these days :(:(

Swansea
06.10.2008, 09:52
Good stuff mate! 104 members? Where do they all come from?

Dave
07.10.2008, 09:51
There is a feature on British followers of overseas football. Clubs featured are FC Nuremberg, Feyernoord, Inter, Red Star Paris and our very own selves. hsvklatschhsvklatsch
Nice! I would like to read the other stories as well, could you be so kind and scan these pages for me? Especially Nuremberg and Red Star Paris.

And, off topic, can you tell me the translation for "to assert oneself"? ;)

OfTheSpeed23
07.10.2008, 14:18
104 members of HSV in the UK?! I've only known of 4 of them that actually come over :D

"Hardcore of about 20 fans flying over on a regular basis"? :D :D

That article has seemingly forgotten to mention one Englishman that actually lives in Germany and travels to every Hamburg game too, but that's understanable ;)

And, off topic, can you tell me the translation for "to assert oneself"? ;)

"seine Autoritaet behaupten" maybe? Depends on the context, I guess.

Dave
07.10.2008, 17:07
"seine Autoritaet behaupten" maybe? Depends on the context, I guess.

Thanks. Example: "Wir müssen uns gegen Ajax behaupten" - "We must assert oneself against Ajax". Correct? Or is it "We must assert ourself against Ajax"? Or something else?

OfTheSpeed23
07.10.2008, 17:35
Wir müssen uns gegen Ajax behaupten = We must assert ourselves against Ajax.

I think "behaupten" is the correct translation for "to assert" anyway

shadsworth cloud
07.10.2008, 18:53
well, its true that we have 104 "members" although it costs nothing to be a member, so i don't quite know how solid our membership is. And once you join, nobody is allowed to leave unless they wear a St Pauli shirt and a Werder Bremen scarf in the middle of the Nordtribune. Yes, membership of the HSV Supporters Uk is a one-way-street
(in fact since the article was published i have had some more members :cool:)
hsvklatschhsvklatschhsvklatsch

How many are true "Nur Der HSV" types and how many "i-quite-like-Hamburg-because Mark McGhee used to play there" etc I don't know. Some are like me - just football junkies- some are like Dave - Rangers fans who latch onto HSV- some are like Steve - descendants of Hamburgers who have moved to England

But I do know that at least 20 people regularly (ie more than once or twice a season) come to Hamburg and watch a game. Its a bit difficult to get everyone together because we are spread around - not just the UK but all around Europe. Not to mention the chronic attitiude of the DFL when it comes to fixing matchdates. I am coming to Germany at the end of October, but they have not yet fixed match dates and its only 2.5 weeks away

The split is probably 75% non-German and 25% are German ex-pats. In fact once you count German people whop perhaps live in England, and then visit family in Germany and take in a visit to the Volkspark then 20 was a bit of an underestimate.

The article has some things not quite true and it makes me seem like some kind of beer monster (How very dare they!)
But the header on the topic is what we are about - Flying the HSV flag over here. And that is what we will continue to do.
There is a corner of Blackburn that is Hamburg!
(but with warm beer and mad cows disease):D:D

Dave
07.10.2008, 21:25
Wir müssen uns gegen Ajax behaupten = We must assert ourselves against Ajax.

I think "behaupten" is the correct translation for "to assert" anyway

Thanks, now that I know it, I will use it at work as fast as possible ;)